Did you know that many kids experience learning losses during the summer? There's a name for it: The summer slide (and that isn't the one at the park). So, what can you do as a parent to help STOP the summer slide? Studies show that children who read four or more books over the summer do better on reading in the fall than those who read only one or no books over the summer.
Don't get caught in the summer slide!
Check out these resources!
Sign up for Scholastic Home Base
- SUMMER READING! The Summer Reading event returns to Home Base! Check in that you’re reading every day over the summer to start your Reading Streak and earn rewards!
- SUMMER READING ZONE! Put on your sunscreen and hit the beach with your friends! Visit the new zone for summer 2021 and enjoy all new beach-themed rewards.
- AUTHOR AMBASSADORS! Meet Kelly Yang and Varian Johnson in the Summer Reading zone and stay tuned for their live events this summer!
- FREE BOOKS AND READALOUDS! To celebrate Summer Reading, we’re adding free books and video readalouds to Home Base over the summer. Read on!
- LAST GATE OF THE EMPEROR! Visit the Hub’s newest zone to meet Yared and Besa!
- CIRCLES UPDATE! See the total Summer Reading check-ins and donated books in your circles!
Sign up for Camp Bookit!
RIF Summer Reading
More Summer Reading
Grade Level List of Recommended Books
Rising 1st and 2nd Graders
Rising 3rd, 4th & 5th Graders
Rising 6th, 7th & 8th Grader
Scholastic Recommended Book List
Accelerated Reader Quiz Link
Phonemic Awareness Summer Support | Heggerty